Sunday, November 6, 2016

Shepshed 7

Today I run my first Shepshed 7 since 2010. I ran 48:22 back then in those halcyon dizzy height days.


The event is organised by Shepshed Running Club and amounts to two laps through the private grounds of the Garendon Park Estate with the start at the High School. It was never my favourite race due to the terrain which consists of a grass section at the start, a few tarmac bits but mostly the course is on gravel paths where the gravel is effectively small boulders. These, if you are running in inappropriate footwear e.g. thin soled lightweight road shoes, are a bit like running on a bed of nails e.g. I have the wrong footwear.

As I compete the first lap someone hands me a plastic cup of water which disintegrates on touch and cascades down the front of my shirt. So that was no help. What I really needed was someone to hand me my PB dog to pace me round the second circuit.

I am actually pleased with my time, despite it being three whole minutes down on 2010, as I went through 10k at an acceptable 45 minutes.

The race is a 500 person sell out although only 429 brave the rather cold grim conditions. In a nice touch it even starts raining just as we finish. We all thaw out afterwards with coffee in the Home Economics room of the school. That is, if they still call it Home Economics?

No comments:

Post a Comment