Sunday, September 18, 2016

Calke Abbey 10k


 Today we are at Calke Abbey for Jack Rabbit Events’ 10k. After we’ve picked up our race numbers, is the five minute walk uphill to the start.

The race then starts on a downhill stretch which means of course that what goes down must come back up, which of course it does and this pretty much sets the tone for the whole course. The word 'undulating' just doesn't adequately describe it. So definitely not a PB course nor one that is kind on anyone with dodgy calves (like me).

The route then circumnavigates Staunton Harold Reservoir, sticking to the main road and touching on Melbourne, before returning to Ticknall and back into the Calke Abbey estate. The last couple of miles is through Calke Abbey's grounds which no doubt some folk will tell you is scenic and I suppose it is but it's also along a long straight rather dull tarmac driveway which is also quite busy with traffic.

My time of 47 minutes reflects the undulating nature of the course. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. At the finish we get a nice big medal (if you like medals) but no t-shirt. Overall though, not a bad race and very well organised.

I bump into a person I know whose Son has won the race and his brother came 10th. Well that put me in my place.

No comments:

Post a Comment