Sunday, August 21, 2016

Kirkwall Half Marathon

While holidaying on Orkney we head to the capital, Kirkwall, where the most secretive race known to man is being held. This is the Kirkwall Half Marathon that rather quaintly you can only enter by post and cheque. It does have a Facebook page but this has no link to the organiser. I did eventually manage to get hold of the guy by good old landline and he promised me a place.

Half an hour before start time there is still no one in sight at the Pickaquoy Leisure Centre where it starts, then suddenly everyone appears and I sign up. It’s a bargain £8.

Although the race now clearly exists I’m a bit worried about signage as the race briefing consists of the locals being told which side roads have roadworks on them. As the field of 40 depart on a rolling but enjoyable course I’m not totally convinced we will have such standard features as signage and marshals but I needn’t have worried as we have both, even water stations and mile markers.

I finish in a good time, in 19th place which is later bumped up to 18th when someone is disqualified. Oooh controversial, I know not why.

The t-shirt isn’t red, isn’t long sleeved and doesn’t have a turtle on the front. This is because there is no t-shirt. I also don’t get a crap medal because there is no medal. There are however countless plates of sandwiches and cakes along with tea and coffee, so I’m not complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment